Rushes - 1982
- Title: Rushes
- Choreographer:Siobhan Davies
- Choreographer Comments:Created for Second Stride.
- Dancer:Paul Clayden,Siobhan Davies,Ann Dickie,Juliet Fisher,Philippe Giraudeau,Jeremy Nelson
- Music:Michael Finnissy
- Musicians:Michael Finnissy (piano)
- Designer:David Buckland
- Lighting Design:Peter Mumford
- Costume Maker:Ann Guyon
- Painter:David Buckland, Fam Van de Heyning
- Summary:Rushes was choreographed for Second Stride. It premiered in 1982 and was subsequently taken into the repertoire of Rambert Dance Company. Six dancers move through a series of solos, duets then larger group sections progressing towards a rush of activity as suggested by the title. The work is set to Michael Finnissy's commissioned piano composition.
- Analysis:‘The work retains Davies’ usual choreographic invention; phrases are made, remade, and shared between and amongst different dancers, but Rushes marked a move away from the more gentle work that preceded it to work that had a harsher, sharper quality and higher energy’ (Sarah Whatley, 2002).
‘The structure of Rushes was based on a grid. The performers working from the back of the stage to the front intercept those moving from right to left. The points of interception sometimes trigger an event. The first meeting point becomes a photographic idea while the whole cast holds together in one image before breaking out. The image reoccurs during the piece. The energy and clarity of both Michael Finnissy’s score for piano, David Buckland's Rodchenko-inspired banners and Peter Mumford's lighting, provided further structures to engage with’ (Siobhan Davies, 2009).
- Production Date Original:1982
- Tour:Great Britain
04/05/82 - Oxford Playhouse, Oxford (Premiere)