Drawn Breath - 1989
- Title: Drawn Breath
- Choreographer:Siobhan Davies
- Choreographer Comments:choreographed for Siobhan Davies Dance
- Dancer:Scott Clark,Gill Clarke,Paul Douglas,Michael Fulwell,Bernadette Iglich,Lauren Potter
- Music:Andrew Poppy
- Sound Score:Commissioned music 'Melody versus The Brittle Funk'
- Musicians:Andrew Poppy (piano),Philip Poppy (saxophone),Bruce Nockles (trumpet),Simon Limbrick (percussion)
- Designer:Hugh O'Donnell
- Lighting Design:Peter Mumford
- Costume Designer:Hugh O'Donnell
- Costume Maker:Penny Thompson
- Painter:Set Painting: Liz Reed Studio
- Summary:Drawn Breath toured alongside Cover Him with Grass and is a work for six dancers with a commissioned score by Andrew Poppy. The artist Hugh O'Donnell created an enormous gauze curtain with the image of a breath printed on it; the curtain was gradually drawn across the back of the stage during the performance.
- Analysis:‘Reference is made to other cultures in thematic content. Davies seems to be drawing on the idea of ‘community’ as an inspirational source, communities talking and working together to solve problems. At the heart of the dance is Davies’ familiar concern for how sensations of everyday moods and feelings translate to infuse and extend the movement vocabulary’ (Sarah Whatley, 2002).
- Production Date Original:1989
- Tour:02/11/89 - 04/11/89 - Warwick University Arts Centre, Coventry (previews)
08/11/89 - 12/11/89 - Riverside Studios, London (Dance Umbrella)
16/11/89 - 18/11/89 - Conservatoire National, Bordeaux (SIGMA Festival)
23/11/89 - 25/11/89 - Stranmillis College Theatre, Belfast (Belfast Festival)
28/11/89 - 29/11/89 - Phoenix Arts Centre, Leicester
01/12/89 - 02/12/89 - Theatr Hafren, Newtown, Powys